Monday, January 29, 2018

Returning to a Squish piece

I keep getting distracted by the class work for Karen Ruane's courses. Currently, we are working on a stitch dictionary exploration.


She is also running a 12 month paper/cloth book course that is super interesting to me. You can join in anytime.


I have had an intention for some time to include Spirograph in my paper work and I have finally done it. You will see more of that in the weeks to come.


I get a kick out of this one, it has heavier paper and is a bit more structural.


On the other side of the spectrum, there these delicate sheer papers that are very cool (and difficult) to work with.


My other intention is to work with birch bark somehow. This is my first experiment. It looked fine until I added the green zig zag. Obviously, a better photo is needed.

But back to the squishes. Rosehips and Rowan berries were used here. The original plant matter are in reds/oranges/yellows and sour greens. The squishes have faded to a dull orange. That's OK because the intention of the squishes was to create a map of where to stitch. I have a full spectrum of threads and fabrics to use based on the original plants.


 I started this work last January, creating holes and some background stitching that can be stitched over.


A trailing path through the plants is also nearly done. I plan to make colour splops along the path, creating an imaginary journey through an imaginary plant that is both rose and rowan berry.


Many artists include realistic images in their stitching and I've been debating if a family of dragons should live in this garden or not. I can eventually draw an image, with much erasing and tracing but transferring it to fabric seems impossible for me. That's why I avoid straight lines and realism. I'm not sure where to go with this notion. Birds and mice, while cute, are very expected. We don't have enough imaginary creatures that haven't been used endlessly. A sphinx?

No comments:

Post a Comment